Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What a week

Last week was a very trying one mentally.  After I heard from the nurse at the fertility clinic on Monday that I was not pregnant and to stop all drugs I heard from the intended mother, she questioned why I had a HCG level but the clinic was saying that we were not pregnant.  After some discussion we both agreed to keep doing the progesterone injections until I had another pregnancy test on Wednesday.  We did not tell the clinic we were doing this but I wanted to help the intended parents get a better piece of mind that there was really not a baby after this first IVF attempt.  So, Wednesday I went into my OB office to had another blood pregnancy test done.  I was hoping for same day results but of course that would be too easy.  We had to wait until Thursday afternoon to get the results and when the OB's office talked to me they said "you are pregnant" which I had a brief moment of excitement until I asked what my numbers were.  On Monday my number was 2.5 (anything under 5 the clinic deems not pregnant) and on Wednesday the number was 2.25.  HCG numbers are supposed to double every 48 hours so these low numbers that are staying low would indicate that there was not a viable pregnancy at this time.  I was sure that these results would help ease their mind, but instead it only gave them more questions.  Since the 2 tests were done at different labs it was then decided to do the test yet again on Friday (and of course that means that I have to keep doing the shots, not what I am wanting to do).  Finally on Monday we got those results and my numbers have continued to go down to 1.8.

During all this over the last week and all my frustration I have tried to put myself into their shoes and everything they are going through to have another baby.  I can't imagine what they must be going through with the disappointment and knowing that this whole process is out of their hands.

I start the birth control pills tomorrow as the beginning of the second round is now beginning.  The estimate is that transfer can happen in about 5.5 weeks from now.  The big question is what does that do for a due date.  From what I have figured it would make a due date around the middle of December so I am not sure what the intended parents are going to do with that.  They are trying to decide between going forward as soon as possible or waiting and doing a late January due date.  It seems like there is always something up in the air and a decision to be waited for.  As I keep saying, I just want to get to the pregnancy part...the part I am experienced in!

No comments:

Post a Comment