Monday, February 13, 2012

In shock...

I know that many IVF cycles do not end in a pregnancy but I did not ever really consider that IVF would not work for us the first time through.  We are not doing this because I need help getting pregnant or even because the intended parents can not get pregnant (she has already carried her own child) but rather because her body does not handle the stress of pregnancy well.  Why would I not get pregnant when 2 good looking embryos are placed right into my "great looking" (or however the doctors indicated that my uterus looked just as they would like) uterus.  My first thoughts are to what did I do wrong, even though I am very certain that I did not do anything to not enable these embryos to implant.

In all my planning and thinking through this process I never thought about what would happen if we did not get pregnant the first cycle.  Yes, it is in the contract that we will attempt 3 times, but I just never thought that we would have to be concerned with that.  Now is the time when we are very grateful that we have 2 frozen blastids waiting to be transferred.  We don't have to wait on the intended mother to do another egg retrieval, we just have to worry about me.  Also, blastids have a higher chance of implanting then the embryos that were implanted the first time.

The question of the day is now do we go right into another transfer or do we have me stop my medicine and wait for my period before starting again.  Hopefully we will know by the end of the day so I know what I need to be doing.  In a way I am hoping that we can go right into another transfer and not have to wait the extra month for the whole cycle to start again.  I am just waiting on a phone call to give me instructions on where we go next!

No comments:

Post a Comment