Friday, February 3, 2012

Did that really just happen?

So after thinking about being a surrogate for 5 years and going through the process, yesterday was such a surreal experience.  I drove to Raleigh and got there around 10.  Before I even got out of my car my nerves were tested when a guy backed out into the passenger side of my Tahoe.  Thankfully, he was not going very fast and there was absolutely no damage to either of our cars!

The intended parents were there when I got there and we went right into my acupuncture appointment.  It was a great experience and got me totally relaxed, but at the end of the 45 minutes I was feeling a little ready to move again.  After that appointment we went upstairs to the fertility clinic.  After about 10 minutes we were called back to get ready for the transfer.  We were shown pictures of the embryos and learned that the 2 they were placing were both 9 cells and compacting.  They were great quality and as good as they could be expected to be.  I was then sent into the bathroom to change into my gown, shoe booties, hair net and mask.  The intended parents were given scrubs, booties, hair net and masks too.  Seeing our new outfits made this all seem so real.  We were taken into the room, all white with the "surgical" feel to it.  Immediately I was put onto the table with my legs in the stirrups, an awkward position when you are in the room with another man that is NOT your husband (I was covered completely so there was no risk of him seeing anything!)

Once the doctor came in they showed us the embryos on the tv screen and then they were brought in for the transfer.  I had a brief moment of oh crap what am I doing but I think I would have thought that even if it was for my own child.  There is something about knowing from that minute on you are possibly pregnant.  The transfer took about 5 minutes then we were let back out to get back into our normal clothes.  All done, successfully impregnated, now to see how many continue to grow...yikes, there could be 2!!

After the transfer I had another acupuncture appointment that lasted about 25 minutes then we had a good lunch at Village Deli before I got back on the road to head home.  What a day!  I did not physically do a lot but I was completely drained when I got home, nothing that 9.5 hours of sleep could not fix.

I am able to go about my normal activities but have to keep my activity level as low as possible for the next 2-3 days.  In a week and a half I go in for the pregnancy test and progesterone levels to see if I am indeed pregnant.  If all went well then the baby/babies are due October 22nd!

Here are the 2 embryos they used!

No comments:

Post a Comment