Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Recovering


I have had 2 full days of recovery and overall I am feeling very good.  It is amazing how different recovery is when you are able to come home from delivery and get a good nights sleep...no crying baby to attend to during the night:)

I did not sleep well the night we got home, I think I was still running on the adrenaline from the birth.  I laid in bed most the night hoping for some shut eye that I never seemed to get.  On Monday I was able to get a little cat nap in the morning and then a hour nap when the kids went down for rest time.  Monday night I slept pretty well so felt more human on Tuesday.

The worst part of the last few days is the pumping that I agreed to.  Even though my 3 kids have never had formula, I have never had to do much pumping as I mainly breastfed my children.  Pumping exclusively has been miserable on my boobs!  Even with my first pumping on Monday things were getting uncomfortable.  I have managed to continue pumping after figuring out how to reduce the suction on my pump, it has made it possible but still almost brings me to tears each time I start.  I don't expect things to get much better until the pumping is finished but it is something I have agreed to so will do my best to fulfill my obligations.  I was only able to get 1.5 ounces all day Monday and Tuesday, which is a little discouraging, but did get 2.5 ounces this morning with my first pump (after 11 hours not pumping overnight).  I am not sure how much milk I will get them this week but I guess any is better for the baby then none.

As much as I hate the pumping, the pain it causes, and the hassle I will have to get rid of the milk once it comes in I have to keep telling myself that it is not only helping the baby but will help in my recovery too.  I know the breast stimulation helps my uterus contract and helps get it back to it's intended size.

This is a picture posted by one of the parents on their Facebook page. 


No comments:

Post a Comment